Thursday, August 21, 2014

Build Your Food Storage With Crispy Fries and Snack Cakes

While everyone else is excited about chicken fries, I'm going to share another type of fry with you.

As the result of a free food event, Alex and I were introduced to CRISPY FRIES. Now, for those of you who may not know, these crispy fries of which I speak are a certain potato chip brand's attempt at expanding their snack food repertoire while apparently rescuing stale french fries from being thrown out. I don't want to name this brand because I don't want them to sue me, but this I will say: contrary to their brand's tag line, these fries do NOT have ridges.

They're all-American. We may be the only country that can't settle for either french fries OR potato chips; we've gotta have both. I'm not sure why this hybrid needed to happen, but here it is. To quote Alex's response when he tasted one, “It tastes like one [french fry] you would dig out of the seat of your car.” Yum. You know you want one. 

I think the real advantage to these fries, in addition to uniting the American definition of chip with that of the English as the back of the bag proudly claims, is the fact that really, these things would probably last forever. They have the freeze-dried feeling of astronaut food and enough salt to ensure that they will never go bad, even though they have a “guaranteed fresh by” date for some reason. In the event of a nuclear holocaust, plan on eating crispy fries and those little cream-filled yellow snack cakes that sometimes dress as cowboys because they will remain unchanged regardless of circumstances.

Unfortunately, immediately following Alex's car seat statement, I found myself nodding and popping more in my mouth. “Yeah, you're right,” I agreed, and kept eating. At the end of the bag, I still thought so. But I ate them. Why? Well, it could be that I like astronaut food. It could also be that I ate many forgotten fries from the car as a small child, so it didn't faze me to eat them now.

But my point, aside from showing you that I used to (and still do) eat just about anything, is that crispy fries are a somewhat edible, but passing fad that will fill your food storage wonderfully. If you, like I, enjoyed eating french fries from the backseat of a mini-van, stock up and enjoy the nostalgia while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment