Friday, October 16, 2015

From a Frugal Freshman

I just finished watching (at the time I began writing) the Democratic Debate. It contained the tell-tale signs of modern political debate: The unsubstantiatable boasting of a pre-school "My dad could beat up your dad" fight, the pomposity and disdain of an undergraduate philosophy class discussion on epistemology, the persistent one-upmanship in promising akin to my sisters vying for favorite aunt status, and the self-absorbed rambling described in Brian Regan's "Dinner Party" routine. That aside, one of the issues the candidates--especially Bernie Sanders--would like to use to appeal to younger (college-age) voters (and their parents), is that of affordable college tuition. Now, regardless of how you feel about the government financing the educational pursuits of Americans through their bachelors degrees, university tuition can be pricey. So, I thought I would share my experience of paying for college and some of the strategies that helped me graduate debt-free. This is meant as more of a way to help out current/future college students, but if it crosses the line into "I'm wonderful. Me, ME, ME!" then please just close your browser and pretend like that didn't just happen.

I recently took a campus tour of a college that I once had an interest in attending. (It wasn't out of my own interest that I went; I was accompanying my sister.) As we were riding in the amazing golf cart-limousine, our tour guide told us about how the university cared about its students, and that's why they offered jobs and other aids: "They want to get you out of here with as little debt as possible." Then he proceeded, in the very next breath, to explain, "That building houses the Jamba Juice--if that's important to you." And I thought, "HA!"

Because frequenting the Jamba Juice is not an effective way to limit your student debt.

But really, I hear a lot about how to spend less in college. And some of it is sound, but rarely do I hear the things that helped me most. So, here it is (after way more introduction than it deserves), my gift to you.

Your college preparation mentality should ideally begin way before you take that college tour. If you are serious about attending college someday, you should be planning that way with your grades, the way you spend your free time, and the way you spend your money from the beginning of your awkward little Freshman year. Parents, talk to your kids. Kids: talk to your parents. Who is responsible for footing the bill? Every family will be different, but with mine, my parents let me know that it would be my responsibility to be the number one contributor to my college fund. This affected my decisions. I knew I needed to study for scholarships and save for supplemental income. Whatever the terms of the agreement, both parties need to plan accordingly. If jobs and savings accounts are needed, get them started.

You don't necessarily need to be the school, work, then study late into the night with no hope of a social life kind of student when you're planning for college. I mean, I may not have had a social life, but I also had quite a bit of free time and I don't want you to get the idea that I was always studying, because I wasn't. However, when the opportunity to babysit arose, I took it--a while after some of my cohorts had to stop sitting because of their burgeoning social schedules. It can help to be willing to stoop a little lower to earn a few more bucks.

Equally important will be your expenditures. Do you really need it? As a penny-pinching maniac in a small town, I found little opportunity to spend my hard-earned money. My parents were providing me with the necessities of life, so large proportions of my earnings could be committed to my bank account. That was a wonderful time of my life.


Look for scholarships. They will save you mucho dinero. I didn't personally go for government aid, but if that's something that appeals to you, go for it. There are people and corporations that are interested in funding your ascension to becoming a contributing member of society--take advantage of that.

Quick note on scholarships offered by universities:
Some universities will offer scholarships with dollar amounts. Others offer "Full," "Half," or some fraction of the tuition-type scholarships. Some scholarships apply a full four years, but others apply only for one year and must be reapplied for later. Read the fine print. If you choose a school with a four year-dollar amount scholarship from what used to be a cheaper school, you could end up paying more than you would if you had attended a larger university on full tuition. I received the highest available scholarship as an incoming Freshman. Three years later, tuition hikes rendered my dollar-amount scholarship impotent. What once paid nearly all my tuition now paid just under half. I'm telling you: If you are offered "Full" and "Essentially full, but we spell it out in a dollar amount," take the first.

Plan to get a job. Part-time? Full-time? Selling alarm systems in the summer? Only you can say. If you've got scholarships, savings, or other supplemental income, you will probably be able to get by with part-time. At least for a while. I actually lived primarily off my savings and worked summers in my hometown at a grocery store for the first two and a half years of college. I felt a lot better once I found a part-time job, though--I was starting to run somewhat low on funds. Your ability to get a job will depend on your class schedule and course of study. Some rigorous majors may limit your ability to work many hours, and afternoon labs can complicate things, as well. Luckily, there are many campus jobs available for students. With jobs for early morning/late night cleaners, paper graders/teachers' aides, tutors, and groundskeepers, universities can be a good place of work for busy students. Food for thought: occasionally places that hire also look for volunteers. If you have time for a job but can't find one, consider volunteering. It will fill a gap in both your schedule and your resume, and could eventually lead to a job.

Once you've gotten into the "I'm going to college, and this is how I'm funding it" mindset, the school you select will have a HUGE impact on your money spent. Everyone looks for different things from their collegiate experience, but be honest with yourself. It may sound cool to have a highly ranked football team at your college, but if you aren't being recruited and wouldn't realistically attend any games then you may want to look for the aspects of the college that actually affect you personally. If you don't care about any of the myriad student services available, it will only frustrate you more to have your student fees go to funding them. For me, a small public university that was close enough to home that I could return as frequently as needed (yet far enough that moving out was practical and justified) was a good fit. By acknowledging what I actually wanted from my university experience I was able to avoid paying more for facilities that are admittedly awesome, but that I didn't need. Also, shop around and ask questions. As we toured the larger campus, I found myself making mental notes to tell my sister later: "They talked about [this resource] as though it was a big deal, but it's pretty standard on college campuses. Same with [another thing the university was proud of]: I had that at my alma mater, and it's considerably smaller." The community college may be a good starting off point--especially if you're unsure of a major. Don't cut out any options before giving them a fair chance.

You're looking for a place to live. The university tour guides told you that the social aspect of the dorms is unrivaled. I'm not social. I chose not to live on campus. I still found a social life. If I can do it, you can do it. Again, we all look for different benefits, but for me, living off campus and being able to prepare my own food instead of having to buy a meal plan was a better option--in large part because it was cheaper. You know what else is cheaper? Sharing. I mean, most of us would like our own space, but when you're willing to share a bathroom? Rent goes down. You live in the same room as someone else? Even cheaper.

I had my own room my first year out in what I thought was a pretty decent place for a decent price. Through the year I found a friend and discovered I could get cheaper rent by rooming with her in a complex a block over. The next year I once again hopped to a cheaper place in the neighborhood. Admittedly, I moved a lot during my four years of college, but each move saved me a bit more. By looking around, especially after you've grown familiar with an area and its housing situation, you may be able to find a better deal. Just as you should be willing to consider less-traditional options for your schooling, take inventory of all your living choices. It may be cheaper to live with a family member, in a large complex, a house full of students, or a spot just a block further from campus. Don't lock yourself into one spot or idea if you are truly searching for a good deal.

On your own, you can put into practice those money-saving habits you developed while still at home. I had a professor laugh because I hauled a peanut butter sandwich and an apple to his class every day for lunch one semester, but it was WAY cheaper than other convenient, pre-packaged options. Exercise control. Try not to eat out or buy unnecessary snack foods too often. Buy a few store brands. Limit your consumption of meat. Don't coupon.

This may seem counter-intuitive. In my experience, though (and I may be behind the curve on this one), in order to save money couponing, you must have more time, patience, and access to Sunday editions of the newspaper than most college students possess. Casual couponing only fooled me into thinking I was saving money--when I was using coupons to buy items that I didn't normally buy. I use a lot of store brands, and rarely do coupons lower the price of brand name items to the point that their prices are lower than those of store brands. By all means, use coupons for things you normally buy, or if you're looking to splurge on a treat, but remember to coupon with care!

With clothing and other "status" purchases, bear in mind that the college atmosphere is a bit different than you experienced in high school. On the average college campus, you will see everything from business suits to hoodies and pajamas. This knowledge makes it a lot easier to save money on clothes if you need to, because, honestly, there could be a girl who wears a cat tail pinned to the back of her jeans in your 1010 English class: At the university level, confidence is king and judgement sits in the backseat next to Rebecca Black. When I shopped (which was rarely), I found great deals at thrift stores and on clearance racks. Nobody cared.

Your needs may vary depending on your schedule and your location. If you attend a larger university, you may not need a car because public transportation or even free shuttle services for students will take you most places you need to go. If you choose to live off campus at a smaller college or university, a car could be a big help. My parents were kind enough to let me use a '96 Geo Prizm while I was at school. My sisters now mock this car. :( It wasn't fancy, but it only full-out died on me once. Maybe twice. I was very grateful to have it.

This next tidbit may not be for you. Especially because times change, technology changes, and I entered the university world a whole six years ago. I began and ended my time at school without ever having purchased a laptop. Admittedly, I married into one my Senior year, but until then, I was able to save a bit by using campus computers and occasionally relying on the kindness of roommates. Having a laptop is certainly convenient, but every campus will have computers available for use. Because I was usually able to get my computer-related homework done on campus before the library closed at midnight, I found I was able to squeak by without a laptop. Again, consider your circumstances and priorities.

I think I'm wrapping this up, here, but one more biggie before I do: Partying and Spring Break.

Now, you may have seen shirts declaring something along the lines of "I like to party. And by 'party,' I mean, read books." (If anyone wants to buy me one for Christmas [or, if you're honestly looking for ideas, this one that I can wear to family reunions and ward parties], that'd be awesome--because as you can tell after reading this post, I'm too cheap to buy snarky t-shirts for myself. But I digress!) If you can't tell, this was pretty much me in college. I mean, I went out and did things, but as far as attending crazy loud parties and dancing at bars--that's not my scene. And you know, I saved money not having to buy alcohol. If you do like to drink and party, just be aware that booze can cost you. Also, be aware that if you are partying within hearing range of my house too far past midnight, I will call the cops on you. That is all.

Except . . . that even if you don't go crazy on the weekends, you may still have the opportunity to spend money on social engagements. If you're a guy--or a break-with-tradition feminist--you may have dates to pay for. (Incidentally, this could be a despicable, but effective way to save money if you're a single woman!) You don't have to be tackily cheap to keep them from breaking the bank. Occasionally, through no fault of your own, you may find yourself in a restaurant. Drinking water is healthier and cheaper than getting a soft drink. Matinee showings are cheaper than later night movies. You know, these sorts of secrets abound on the internet. Find them and use them.

Your roommates may plan an awesome road trip to California for Spring Break. And you may decide, that at this time, your savings being what they are, you won't be going with them. It happens. And the world doesn't even end.

Basically, what I'm saying is, swear off of fun for four years and you'll be able to pay for college.



HA, NOT! Guys, I had an awesome time at college. If you don't believe me, feel free to Facebook-stalk my photos from 2009 to 2013 (Just kidding. Privacy settings, people!). I took some awesome (and fantastically well-planned and frugal) trips to the Grand Canyon, Vegas, and Salt Lake City, to name a convenient list of three. I'm not saying you can't do anything fun. I'm saying 1. Fun doesn't have to cost money. 2. Think about what you want from your college experience and don't pay for a lot of extras you don't want. 3. Prioritize. On occasion, you can spend a little more. It's when you start spending more on EVERYTHING that you'll run into problems. 4. You can graduate from college without having gone into debt. It is possible. Maybe this will help somebody. Maybe it won't. But you know what's awesome about my blog? It's free. Also, it's like a presidential debate: all about me, Me, ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment